A series of three linked pre- and post-assessment workshops for parent/carers of children and young people who are waiting for an assessment for Autism, or who have recently been diagnosed with Autism.
These workshops are open to all parents/carers who live in the West Berkshire, Reading or Wokingham council areas who:
- Have a child who is on the waiting list to be assessed for Autism or
- Have a child who has just been diagnosed as having Autism and
- Have NOT previously attended a Time Out from Autism course with Parenting Special Children (PSC)
Parents/carers must attend the Introduction to Autism workshop first, and it is recommended that parents attend all three workshops in the series.
Topics covered include:
Introduction to Autism
- What is Autism?
- Challenges & concerns
- Strengths and opportunities
- Signposting to support
Anxiety and Autism
- What is anxiety?
- Why it makes sense to be anxious if you’re autistic
- Top strategies to support you and your child
Behaviour and Autism
- Challenging behaviour: distressing or in distress?
- Becoming a detective
- There is always a reason
- Top strategies to help you and your child
We also run a Sensory Processing Workshop, which might be of interest.
This service was commissioned by the CCGs, part of the NHS in the west and east of Berkshire.
Please note: All our courses and workshops are only suitable for Parents/Carers. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide childcare, or accommodate children.