Parenting Special Children provides a specialist service for families of Looked After and Adopted Children (LAAC) and young people with special needs.
The LAAC service offers the following to parents/carers of LAAC with special needs FREE of charge:
- Monthly topic-based workshops, with two sessions on the same day, one in the morning and one (repeated) in the evening. This ensures that they are accessible to parents/carers who are unable to attend during the day.
- Regular guest speaker events which are usually held once a quarter. We invite various guest speakers to talk to parents/carers about a relevant topic and answer questions.
- Our Time Out for Special Needs (TOSN) course has been adapted to suit LAAC families, with a focus on Attachment and run over seven weeks.
- Support Groups – PSC has set up a number of support groups in response to feedback about the lack of ongoing support available, and subsequent feelings of isolation experienced by many of our families, in particular Kinship Carers and Male Carers. Support groups provide a safe platform for parents/carers to share experiences and establish social networks.
- One to One peer support – PSC will be able to match our trained Peer Supporters with families who are new to the process, and/or have recently had children placed with them.
- Annual conferences – We will be holding an annual LAAC conference aimed at families of LAAC, and the professionals working with them.
We also provide further opportunities for professionals to attend workshops on different topics at a small cost.