“Who’s in Charge?”: Child/Adolescent to Parent Violence and Abuse (APVA): West Berkshire – Zoom
An 8 week course providing a therapeutic approach for West Berkshire Council area parents/carers of children and young people with special needs (aged 8 – 18) who are violent or aggressive.
- Provide a supportive environment to share experiences and ideas
- Reduce the guilt and shame which most parents feel
- Offer ideas to help you develop individual strategies for managing your child’s behaviour
- Explore ways of increasing safety and well-being
- Help parents feel more in control and less stressed
1) Introductions and “Who’s in Charge?” course outline
2) Influences and “Causes” of violent and abusive behaviours
3) Child: Controlling and Abusive Behaviours
4) Parent: Behaviour Management Options
5) Styles of Parenting
6) Child & Parent: Exploring the Concept of Anger
8) Self-care, Resilience and Maintenance
9) One session review after 3 months (date to be decided during the course)
Dates: All Monday evenings: 7-9pm: 10th, 17th, 24th May, (no session 31st May due to Half Term), 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th June, 5th July. (Follow up session: expected September 2021).
Cost: £20 per person. Please note we can only accept bookings from parent/carers with a child who lives, or attends a school, in the West Berkshire Council area.
The course will be lead by specialist parenting practitioners Denise Challis and Helen Cattermole. We would encourage partners to attend the course together where possible. Accompanying partners receive a free place on the course. If you feel that you need the support of your family worker/social worker, or another professional, to attend with you, you must add their details to the booking form.
This course was commissioned and funded by Adult and Community Learning, West Berkshire Council. After booking a ticket you must complete a West Berkshire Council Community Learning enrolment form. You can do so here: https://www.westberks.gov.uk/communitylearningenrolment
You will need a Zoom account to access this event. You can sign up here: https://zoom.us/freesignup/
Zoom will ask you to register/sign in so please allow time for this before the event starts. The event link, ID and password will be in your Eventbrite registration confirmation email – click the red event button. Please check your junk folder! A reminder will be sent on the day of each session.
The events are best viewed on a PC or laptop. Please have the latest version of Zoom installed. You can download the software here: https://zoom.us/download#client_4meeting
- Monday 10 May 2021
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Online Zoom Event
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.